Not a Tech Pro Research member? Sign up for a Free Trial and get access to this content and more for one week.
Edge computing research report 2018: Implementation and investment growing across industries
- Originally Published:
- Sep 2018
This special report from ZDNet and TechRepublic examines the current and future role of edge computing.
Companies are moving away from traditional bases of distributed computing instead opting for IoT (Internet of Things) sensors, cameras, remote devices, servers, and networks at the edges of their enterprises.
In 2018, Tech Pro Research surveyed technology professionals to find out why they implemented or planned to implement these edge computing technologies, what areas delivered the greatest benefit from edge computing, and what were the greatest edge computing implementation challenges.
Survey respondents answered the following questions:
- For what business purposes/applications are you using or do you plan to use edge computing?
- In which area are you seeing the greatest business benefit/payback from edge computing?
- What are your greatest challenges in implementing edge computing?
- How is edge computing most affecting your central data center?
- Are you using cloud services with your edge computing implementation?
Edge solutions vary by marketplace. According to survey respondents, 52% use edge computing for mobile devices and laptops, and 47% use it for remote servers and networks.
In the future, companies will expand their scope of edge computing by investing in IoT-based technologies that assist with enterprise physical security, monitoring, and automated equipment.
Facility management and security are two major focus areas for companies deploying or planning to deploy edge technology. The ability to monitor and maintain equipment located at remote sites without traveling to perform maintenance, as well as the capability to monitor and manage physical facilities in real-time, speaks to edge computing's vast appeal.
Implementation of edge computing solutions is an area where vendors can offer value-added services to help corporate clients.
This report contains all the data, plus analysis, from the survey. For details on future Tech Pro Research surveys, follow us on Facebook, Twitter, or LinkedIn.
To read all the results from the survey, plus analysis, download the full report.
Every month, Tech Pro Research releases an original research report on a different topic related to business technology. Here are some past reports:
- 2019 IT Budget Research Report: IT spending increases due to business conditions, security, and revenue opportunities
- Digital transformation research report 2018: Strategy, returns on investment, and challenges
- Enterprise IoT research: Uses, strategy, and security
- Cybersecurity strategy research: Common tactics, issues with implementation, and effectiveness
To learn more about developing edge computing strategies, check out this ZDNet/TechRepublic special feature.
Already a member? Log in here