Not a Tech Pro Research member? Sign up for a Free Trial and get access to this content and more for one week.
Home usage of company-owned equipment policy
- Originally Published:
- Mar 2019
Employees who work from home often use company-supplied systems and devices, which helps ensure that they have consistent, state-of-the-art equipment to do their work. However, organizations should provide usage guidelines, such as this policy, covering the responsibilities of IT staff and employees.
From the policy:
For an organization to properly implement this policy it is important to separate and document IT department responsibilities and individual employee responsibilities.
IT department responsibilities
The IT department should:
- Arrange to obtain standard equipment for employee home usage to ensure consistent costs and ease of support.
- Utilize asset tags and track equipment via electronic documentation.
- Utilize mobile device management if applicable to be able to reset passwords, block unnecessary applications, and locate/wipe lost or stolen devices.
- Ensure the patching of remote computer systems/mobile devices.
- Ensure the use of anti-malware on remote computer systems/mobile devices and be able to confirm that they receive frequent signature updates.
Employees provided with company-owned equipment should:
- Take care of equipment and keep it in good working order.
- Be responsible for loss/replacement of equipment depending on circumstances (careless use, neglect, etc.).
- Adhere to any existing corporate policies, such as those governing email usage, internet access, and other requirements/restrictions when using this equipment.
- Secure equipment (e.g., laptops or mobile devices) when not in use.
- Utilize this equipment primarily for business purposes—limited personal/recreational use is permitted where reasonable and when it does not infringe upon work duties.
- Report any issues or problems with equipment to the IT department.
- Return faulty equipment or replace it as needed (upon direction from the IT department).
Already a member? Log in here